JCTA Standards for Tanning Facilities
The JCTA believes that reducing risk for any type of equipment whether it be a sunbed, a car or ATV is about who controls the equipment. JCTA Member salons follow these standards to protect their clients:
- Follow all government regulations
- Skin Type every client correctly using the JCTA Skin Typing Form
- Banning the Use of equipment for a Skin Type 1 person – defined by Dr. Fitzpatrick as “always burn, never tan”.
- Persons under the age of 18 are not permitted to UV tan without a prescription or follow government regulations for teen tanning where regulations exist.
- Every staff that controls the equipment is trained and industry certified
- Keep complete client records
- No use of self-serve (client controlled/coin-op/swipe card) equipment. Only a trained and industry certified operator may set the time.
- Every client must wear protective eyewear
- JCTA warning sign of the risk of UV Light will be a placed in every UV Tanning Room and one in the front lobby.
For complete JCTA Standards, view the JCTA Guidelines.